Thursday, April 8, 2010

It's About Time

So I decided that since I've been blogging in my head, it's probably about time to start writing everything down.

Today's topic: The Magic Eraser.

My wonderful little sister decided last week to come visit us after she finishes up her finals today. Hooray! This is an excellent development. We're all very excited.

So I set out today to clean the bathroom. Now, you have to understand, my fabulous little sister is very...clean. She's the ultimate housekeeper, craft-goddess, and head cook and will make someone a wonderful wife someday. But that sort of puts the pressure on me. My house has to be clean. Cleaner than when my mom comes to visit, but not quite as clean as when my mother-in-law comes to visit. When she comes I have to create the illusion that I'm perfectly capable of taking care of her son and granddaughter.

But let's be honest here. I'm not a cleaner. In general, my house is picked up and wiped down, but I'm really not a scrub-for-hours-and-use-your-elbow-grease kind of girl. I'm more of a pull-out-the-Clorox-wipes-and-call-it-good kind of girl.

Today I decided to tackle the shower door. Our house was a foreclosure, and I don't think the people who owned it before us even so much as tried to Windex that door. It's bad. I've tried all sorts of things on it, and nothing really works.

So today, I go to pull out some Clorox wipes, and I spot several boxes of Magic Erasers. Now I don't want this to turn into a commercial, so I'll forgoe saying which brand they were, but let's just say, the ones with the blue scrubbers on the back were sort of a dud, the store brand were okay, and the name brand were awesome! Anyway, since I am a "child of the media," I remembered seeing an image of someone scrubbing a shower door in the commercial and thought, hey, this could be an easy way out of using Tilex or Soft Scrub. SO I gave it a shot.

Magic Erasers, where have you been all my life? Besides in my cleaning supplies cabinet waiting to be used, I mean. It was awesome. How do they do it? I'm sure this is one of those miracle products that 20 years from now they're going to come out and tell us we'll all die because we used them. It's too good to be true.

I started tackling the shower tile. Little did I know, we have tan grout. Not white, tan. Our grout is tan. Three erasers and an hour of uncharacteristic scrubbing brought that out. It's actually kind of ugly. I think I liked soap-scum white better.

So, to my wonderful little sister, I hope when you shower, you'll look at that tan grout, think of my hard work, and smile. Know it was all for you.

6 comments:

  1. Hee hee hee I love them too!!! I'm curious what they're made of since they appear to be so low tech and normal and soft and gentle and....They're also great for taking scuff marks off of painted surfaces like baseboards. Waaaaayyyyy easier than repainting!!! I feel so honored to be the first one to comment on your blog. I love blogs, especially the ones of young families who are doing amazing things with raising their kids. Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mackenzie and I are laughing at this blog, don't worry she is NOT as clean here as she is at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Jenny used magic erasers to get permanent marker off her dresser (Ethan had a little too much fun one day when he was younger).

    Glad you've started up blogging again. Shall I assume the other one is now obsolete?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I think it's safe to assume it's obsolete. I think I needed a fresh start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I will buy some now ... it's obvious that the people who lived in our apt before us didn't scrub much either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you have a blog! Creative web address too. Our blog address is: dougandash.blogspot.com. I'll send you an invite. We should be blog buddies! :)

    ReplyDelete